One of my favorite aspects of being a photographer is having the opportunity to collaborate with my clients pre-session. It truly gets me all giddy inside when they ask for my guidance on clothing, colors, props, locations, activities to do during the session, etc.! I’ve spent many years cultivating my craft and learning the do’s and don’ts and I love that they trust me to share that expertise allowing me to be part of the process before we even meet in person.
Here are my top 5 tips for styling your session:
1. Choosing Color Scheme: Make sure when you choose the colors that will be represented in your session, you consider what is flattering on your skin-tone and what will compliment the location vs. mimicking it. For example, if you are having your session in a golden field, don’t wear yellow. Consider neutral, cooler colors that will compliment the setting. Bonus tip: Avoid red’s. They typically bring out the redness in your skin!
2. Style: How do you choose?: Trying to decide which style to wear? So many clients get overwhelmed by the options (bohemian, formal, casual, etc.). Here is the secret: wear what YOU are most comfortable in- what you would normally wear! Have a favorite pair of boots? Wear them! When you are most comfortable, your photos shine the brightest! DON’T decide to try a new style for these photos that you will have forever. DO be yourself! I promise you will thank me for years to come!
3. Props: Considering bringing a prop or two to your session? DO IT!! You will never regret incorporating something that shows your personality, signifies a similar interest or has a special meaning to you. Maternity session? Bring the tiny baby shoes you bought your little one. Engagement? Bring your favorite tequila and limes that you had on your first date. The options are endless! Have fun with it!
4. Accessories: Do or Don’t? Do! Do! Do! Accessorizing is one of the many subtle ways we tell people what we’re about without saying a word. Maybe its your grandmother’s wedding ring, your favorite wide-brim hat, or a leather motorcycle jacket with your last name across the back; whatever you want- it will only add something special to your session!
5. Location, location, location: This is one of the biggest decisions for your session! Your location should be one of significance to you (where you met, where you love to spend time together, somewhere you can do an activity you enjoy, etc.) and/or somewhere you know you will feel happy and comfortable during your session. AKA if you don’t like to get sandy, don’t choose the beach- seems obvious but you’d be surprised! Ha!
Have more questions about session planning? Drop it in the comments section!
I get the party started so you can have unique photos that feel as fun as they look. We’ll bottle up the vibe of your entire relationship -
not just one day.